Sunday, September 27, 2009

Real life or scenes from a movie?

"You don't have to worry about it. You're 3 hours away" was the response I got from my friends at Penn State Friday night when I got the Pitt ENS alert that "Conditions may be deteriorating in Oakland." To some extent, they were right. I was 3 hours away. I wasn't in the middle of the chaos, but that still didn't stop me from thinking about all the people who were.

Over the past few days, all my news about the G20 and the happenings in Oakland had come from people at work, my family, friends, and of course, the media. I even took up listening to KDKA on the radio, which I thought would never happen. Most of the time, I was just listening to make sure the city was still standing.

Thursday night, I had been semi-disappointed that I don't live on campus this year, because I thought it would have been interesting to see everything firsthand. Now, after seeing most of the YouTube videos and photos, I'm not so sure that I still feel that way. I showed my friends at Penn State the photos that were on The Pitt News website and their response was that they looked like scenes from a movie. With most of them depicting tear gas on the streets and cops surrounding protestors, it's easy to see why they would say this. However, it is the fact that these photos are real that makes them so disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment