Friday, September 25, 2009

Be careful taking walks and buying coffee...

I went for a run in Oakland yesterday around 6pm, and outside of a secret service man casually playing golf in Schenley (which was completely shut off to the public), a few people dressed up like Native Americans, and a girl being removed from the center of Forbes on a stretcher- nothing was too crazy. Everyone seemed to be out running, walking, biking, watching and waiting for something to happen...

I didn't attend the protests, though I had been planning to. At 11pm I recieve urgent messages, and I quote...

"Get out of there, Jess. They are about to gas everyone."

This morning I got up to date on what was happenening, and I realize that we are keeping the peace here, but swat teams and cops in riot gear on every corner as I go to buy a coffee- perhaps a bit much?

I particularly enjoyed the cops on horseback. Please get out of here with your noble steed.

A small group of people carrying signs reading,"I love capitalism, don't smash my windows." spotted my Breuggers coffee and began to scream at me.. "You love capitalism too, you there with your Breggeurs. I bet you like Starbucks too, huh?"

Um, I like coffee. Have a nice morning?

Again, I didn't go. This is just what I observed, should that have relevance to our project.

No comments:

Post a Comment