Sunday, September 27, 2009

G-20 Summit - Pre Highlights & Uncertain Thoughts...










I attended a luncheon at the University Club on Wednesday with four different people speaking about the reasons for the G-20 Summit. That was very informative and uneventful. The afternoon following the luncheon was what I found interesting. I observed Oakland preparing for the G-20 Summit.
From 2:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. I observed Oakland transform into a martial law community. I began to see many police officers in camouflage attire patrolling in various areas in Oakland. As the hour drew later, I also noticed many army Hummers filled with military officers. As the afternoon progressed, more and more police activity (ie., police motorcycle and automobile motorcades, police bicycle patrols, etc.).

While walking past Soldiers and Sailors Memorial I noticed a large group of people getting off of a Port Authority bus, and with a closer looked, I saw that it was a group of police officers. It seemed like forever for them all to get off of the bus. They proceeded towards Soldiers and Sailors Memorial. Then another Port Authority bus pulled up and more officers flooded off of a bus. Three bright blue cards with 'Kennywood' on the side pulled up on the the street to the left of Soldiers and Sailors Memorial, and police officers with matching blue shirts got out of the cars and congregated on the sidewalk prior to heading into Soldiers and Sailors Memorial. I began taking pictures with my cell phone.

It was after 4:30 p.m. and a friend called and asked me to join her for something to drink. We decided upon coffee, Starbucks, then I recommended not going to Starbucks since it was supposed to be a 'target' place for the protestors. We decided on McDonalds and both got something to drink from McDonalds, then it occurred to me that McDonalds was also supposed to be a 'target' spot for the protestors. We noticed two to three security guards in McDonalds and figured that they were there for the anticipated protestors. I suggested that we not sit too long in McDonalds, to avoid any potential disturbances. We took a couple sips of our beverages and left McDonalds.

We proceeded to walk to our cars, only to hear sirens in the background and notice PA state troopers walking around and on many of the corners in Oakland. It was 6:15 p.m. and every corner in Oakland had two state troopers on every corner. Some corners had up to ten state troopers congregated together and talkings amongst themselves. We walked across the street, against the light and my friend warned me that we were jay-walking because the light turned red. I told her to just keep walking and we should be alright. She said, "But we shouldn't be jay-walking with all of these police officers around us." As I turned around, it looked as though were surrounded by state troopers and one of them said, "No. You are not going to get a ticket. You are fine." I asked one of the officers if I could take their picture and they said it would be alright.

We took pictures of vaious things on the way back to our cars. It was an eery feeling to see so many police officers every in Oakland Pre G-20 Summit. A feeling that I have never quite felt before in Pittsburgh. I began taking random pictures of Oakland landmarks, just in case... because, sometimes you never know what to expect in a world filled with so much uncertainty.

The next day (Thursday), I stayed home and watched things unfold on television and on the internet. I posted minute-by-minute posts on facebook as things were actually taking place.

- - -
September 24 at 4:49 p.m. Channel 11 is broadcasting the coverage LIVE. The G-20 Resistance protesters have been asked to disburse. The SWAT team is moving in. The police have declared the march an unlawful assembly.

September 24 at 4:51pm Pittsburgh TODAY is Truly "Someplace Special." A whole lot of activity going on right now. Please pray for PEACE in our city...

September 24 at 5:07 p.m. The news coverage reports "It is a dramatic showdown!'" Police arresting people now. Stay away from Downtown, Lawrenceville, and Bloomfield unless you want to get caught up on the craziness.

1 comment: