Friday, December 4, 2009

What the balls

My friend Sam showed me this blog:

Style Rookie

Basically, it's a fashion blog run by a 13-year old.  Her fashion is questionable, though I'm not partial to haute couture unless donned by Lady GaGa or created by Luxirare (check this blog out too and pine for her lifestyle with me), but the content is secondary to my reason for bringing it up.  This girl is 13-years old. She was born in 1996, and she runs a pretty tight blog.  She has a solid, developed voice, which I find charming but I can see other people thinking it's obnoxious, and she updates regularly with a buttload of material. Beyond even that, each of her blog posts recently has collected over 100 comments.  And she's 13.  What the fuck was I doing when I was 13?  I was writing my own web code and designing websites and maintained a blog too, but at most I got maybe 30-some-odd comments, which is actually impressive because I was egocentrically writing about my completely uninteresting life as a 13-year old and should have gotten less than 0 comments if possible. 

My point is that kids are running wildly successful blogs in terms of readership. This can be an indication of the learning curve in the information age, the future of publishing resting in the hands of the youth, the sign of things to come from our children, etc etc, but what this says to me is, "Well, if a 13-year old can do it, why can't I?"  Think of how much more you know now than when you were 13.  Think of how refined your opinions are and how you can intellectually defend them now. Yeah, maybe this girl is a fashion savant, but still: if 13-year olds are running successful blogs, why can't we?

2 comments:

  1. I am still reeling in shock from this girl. From her blog too, but mainly from this girl. Interview magazine interviewed her earlier this year when she was still twelve (http://www.interviewmagazine.com/blogs/culture/2009-03-13/tavi-williams-style-rookie/), and she uses words like hasty and satire and overstatement and cohesive and she talks about minimalism in her blog. WHAT. I am not completely convinced she is a real human: Her grasp of the English language and insight into life in general is just unbelievable.

    So to reference your comment, Barbara, about being able to do it if a 13-year-old can.... I feel pretty comfortable saying this is no average thirteen year old. I feel like I could sit down and have a more intelligent conversation with this girl than I could with a good chunk of people I know at Pitt. She is by far an outlier, although quite inspirational at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I just found this post now for the first time, and feel the need to express my disbelief at this girl.

    The internet is insane! There is a small part of me that feels this girl is really like 19 but looks much younger. I know that that isn't true, but still. Sooo crazy impressive.

    ReplyDelete