Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Rupert Murdoch & Google are Cracking Down

Hey all,

Just came across this article on the BBC: Google to limit free news access

"Newspaper publishers will now be able to set a limit on the number of free news articles people can read through Google, the company has announced."

At first I was wondering if this only applies in the UK, but then I found this similar article in the WSJ, and realized the new policy is universal.

Sounds like a pretty fair idea to me. Then again, I'm not currently working on a research paper that requires me to find some specific WSJ article from sometime within the past 3 months (or some such situation that would likely involve clicking more than 5 articles). But even if I was, despite being horribly frustrated, I think I'd still objectively understand the reasoning behind the limitations. Ah, free-dom is so hard to let go of once one has become accustomed to it...

PS Maureen, I bet your dad would be interested in reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment